Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday night, one more show

I really want to go see Roberta Gambarini, who sings tonight in one of the small lounges. I was moved by her one song during the Roy Hargrove show, and I want to hear more. So I drag myself there. The seats are not as comfortable as in the big concert room, but we are very close to the stage. She is truly fabulous. A smoky, sensuous voice. And suddenly, who show up - Roy Hargrove. Reciprocating. Does one number. Then disappears. Then he reappears, clearly unwelcome, and does silly trumpet sounds during one of her songs. She keeps it playful, but is clearly irritated. Then he disappears again. And doesn't reappear when he was supposed to... Not sure what's going on between those two, but it seems a bit contentious.
Mrs Moody, the wife of James Moody is in the audience. Roberta salutes her. And asks whether Moody is here to. The answer: "no, he's practicing". Not rehearsing for an upcoming show with someone else, mind you. Practicing. At 84, he still spends his evenings practicing...
Great night altogether. But my pillow feels very very good.

No comments: