Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Sunday, aprem - tuuuuuut, on est parti !

The only other thing that's open at this hour, on the same deck, is... the spa. It's open house there all afternoon, so I go visit. The choices are more limited that in a typical LA spa (OK, that's not saying much). In the first room, they offer to detox you by massaging the mysterious content of a syringe on your belly, then pulsating it with electrodes into your skin. Sorry, not getting zapped today; I'll keep my toxins. The second room, on the other hand... I volunteer to test a new contraption. For a few minutes, I get to float (fully dressed) atop a warm bath. It's divine. Maybe that's what it feels being in the womb... No wonder Arthur didn't want to come out, the little bastard... I sign up for that right away, and sign up dad too. Tomorrow is a full day at sea, so I've got to find things to fill my day. That's my excuse.
When I go back out on the deck, dad is still at the same table, which has now become a hot commodity. More and more people keep seeping out of the elevators, pick up a tray and wander, ogling the table with envy. Amidst the sea of people, there is a small army of Philipino boys at our service. Apart from the Dutch girls at the spa, everyone on the staff of 800 looks Philipino, and every single one I've asked actually was. Ninety percent look male (no, I didn't ask...). In any case, they are amazingly efficient and nice. 

2:30. We finally get to see our room. It's on deck 1 - so it's back down 8 floors in the mid-ship glass elevators. It's very nice, larger than I expected with a large window, big closets, and a huge curtained shower. The luggage, however, is not here. Around 4, we get dad's suitcase. I'm starting to get nervous - better make sure mine is on board before it's anchors aweigh! Also, by now I really feel like freshening up. The evening is barely starting - I'm exhausted just look at the program.

4:45-5:45  Sailaway party with the New Birth Brass Band, Lido Deck
6:30-8:00 Welcome show hosted by Marcus Miller, Vista Lounge
7:30-9:00 Pianist Peter Martin, in the Ocean Bar
8:30 Dinner
10:30-12:00 Singer Roberta Gambarini, Queen's Lounge
10:30-12:00 Ship's pianist, at the piano bar
10:45-12:15 James Carter trio, Ocean Bar
110:00-close Singles get together, hosted by DJ Logic, Crow's nest

I feel for the ship's pianist. Who's going to go listen to him with the competition around? Seriously, they should give him a week off when they have the Jazz cruise. It's not fair.


The other thing that's missing in the room is the magic passes we were promised. They should have entitled us to a world of goodies, in particular priority access into the concert room 10 minutes before the rest of the crowd. I go inquire at the front desk, gladly turn in our blue key cards, and come back gloriously holding two gold cards. We are not blue or red anymore, just golden. Very fitting in the Obama era.

Back up on the Lido deck, by the pool, the New Birth Brass Band is playing "what a wonderful world" to a happy crowd. Everything else feels soooo far away.

Finally we sail away. Seriously armed coast guards and loads of well-wishers ashore accompany our triumphant exit into the sunset.

No comments: