Saturday, February 07, 2009

Lundi at sea, Em out to lunch

I return to the changing room a changing woman. I just sit there, by the floor-to-ceiling window, looking into the empty infinity outside. I am mesmerized by the water just at the vertical of the ship. It does not look like water at all, more like anthracite sand dunes, constantly remodeled by a gentle wind. I can't take my eyes away. There is now an island in the distance, flat and nameless. I feel unbelievably spoiled, ill at ease. I stay there in contemplation while a few women come and go behind my back. I feel guilty, but also strangely at peace. Everything will be alright, after all. I peel myself off, finally, and go back to the sort of real world that can be found on the lido deck. Dad has grabbed a different table, and is sitting there, doing absolutely nothing with an unerasable grin on his face. We go eat - no red meat, no alcohol. Not too hard - it's only 11 am (8 am, LA time). I think I'll live on their buffet of cheese, tuna-filled veggies, and fruits. It's clearly easy to overeat on a cruise, but it's also easy to eat healthy and appetizing stuff, a big change from the over-portioned crap on campus. 

After snack, we go explore the top deck. Aft, there's a
pool and a basketball court. Windswept lounging chairs. And pretty much no one on them. I can look at the ocean for ever, provided there is enough wind to drown out the sounds of the world.

No comments: